Sixteen Charter Public Schools Make U.S. News & World Report’s List of Top 100 Massachusetts Public High Schools
The list includes three charter public schools in the top 10 public high schools in the state
BOSTON, MA (April 27, 2021): Charter public schools from across the Commonwealth received recognition in the annual Best High Schools issue from U.S. News & World Report. There are 16 charter public schools among the top 100 high schools in Massachusetts, including 3 charter public schools in the top 10.
U.S. News ranks high schools by a combination of college readiness, math and reading proficiency, math and reading performance, underserved student performance, college curriculum breadth, and graduation rate.
“We are incredibly proud that sixteen charter schools were recognized by the U.S. News & World Report among the top 100 Public Schools in Massachusetts,” said Tim Nicolette, Executive Director of the Massachusetts Charter Public School Association. “These schools provide their communities a high-quality public education option, while also doing incredible work preparing their students for college and career success.”
The sixteen Charter Public Schools that were among the Commonwealth’s top 100 public high schools are:
- Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School #2
- Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School #3
- Pioneer Charter School of Science 2 (PCSS-2) #4
- Mystic Valley Regional Charter School #11
- Pioneer Charter School of Science #17
- Excel Academy Charter School #25
- Community Charter School of Cambridge #38
- Hampden Charter School of Science #39
- Boston Collegiate Charter School #50
- Abby Kelley Foster Charter Public School #58
- Roxbury Preparatory Charter School #62
- KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School #64
- Berkshire Arts and Technology Charter Public School #73
- Match Charter Public School #81
- Salem Academy Charter School #97
- Academy of the Pacific Rim Charter Public School #99
Additionally, U.S. News lists the top 100 Public High Schools nationwide. This list included two charter public schools – Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School in Hadley (ranked #40 nationwide) and Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School in Marlborough (ranked #93).
The U.S. News ranks include data on nearly 24,000 public high schools in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. According to U.S. News, the goal of these lists is “to provide a clear, unbiased picture of how well public schools serve their students – from the highest to lowest achieving – in preparing them to demonstrate proficiency in basic skills as well as readiness for college-level work.”
In compiling the lists, U.S. News worked with RTI International, a global nonprofit science research firm, to implement the comprehensive rankings methodology, which reflects how well high schools serve all of their students, not just those who are planning to go to college. A detailed explanation of the methodology used can be found here.