City on a Hill began with a single high school in Boston, opening its doors in 1995. Currently we have three locations: Circuit Street (Roxbury, MA) Dudley Square (Roxbury, MA) and New Bedford. We invite you to join our nationally recognized team of innovative and collegial educators who are fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Please note that this position is based in New Bedford, MA.
A Vice Principal at a City on a Hill School has the following responsibilities:
- Observe, provide feedback, and evaluate select teachers (as determined by Principal), including regular monthly meetings with each teacher to reflect on observations to develop teachers' conceptual understanding of what students must know and be able to do and what methods drive student mastery
- Lead analysis of student discipline data to support the development of a strong school culture that supports excellent academic outcomes for all students
- Serve as the proxy for the Principal in the Principal's absence
- Oversee multiple departments within the school and ensure alignment of those departments to support school culture and academic achievement
- Maintain close communication and partnership with the Principal to ensure achievement of CoaH's mission and goals
- Work with the Principal to develop and deliver professional development workshops that drive highest-impact improvements in teacher practice
- Serve as Director of Summer School
- Additional duties, as assigned by the Principal
The City on a Hill Instructional Philosophy and Background:
City on a Hill is a Network of teacher-centered charter public high schools in Boston and New Bedford dedicated to improving urban education and getting all of its graduates into and through college. As one of the original fourteen charter public schools in the Commonwealth, City on a Hill schools have college-prep standards within a rigorous curriculum.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools are high schools determined to teach each and every one of its students the academic skills he or she will need to succeed in college and beyond. Our school leaders, faculty, and students are committed and ready to dedicate the time, energy, and hard work to achieve the school’s mission. The school’s mission is predicated on the belief that not only can all students learn, but all students must learn in order to embrace their rights and responsibilities as American citizens and acquire the academic and cultural capital to improve their community.
It is the policy of City on a Hill Charter Public Schools to obtain all available Federal and State background information through both SAFIS (Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services) and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), as allowed by law, of all employees and prospective employees of the school.
City on a Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Belief that every student, regardless of background, can and must achieve academically at high levels
- Flexibility and resourcefulness in pursuit of results
- Demonstrable understanding and experience with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion practices
- Bachelors Degree
- 3 years of related urban education experience
- Masters Degree
- Massachusetts Licensure in Principal/Vice Principal 9-12
Apply direclty on Coah website: