About City on a Hill (CoaH):
City on a Hill began with a single high school in Boston, opening its doors in 1995. Currently we have three locations: Circuit Street (Roxbury, MA) Dudley Square (Roxbury, MA) and New Bedford. We invite you to join our nationally recognized team of innovative and collegial educators who are fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
This position is based in Roxbury, MA at our Network Office location.
Senior Accounting Associate
The Senior Accounting Associate will report to the Senior Director of Finance and is responsible for accounting, control, compliance, and accounts payable functions. Responsibilities include management and oversight of accounting, maintaining the general ledger, preparing financial statements, managing accounts payable, and tax compliance. Part-time option is a possibility.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual close, including cash reconciliation, preparing schedules, etc.
- Manage accounts payable to ensure bills are paid on time and expense data is entered into the accounting software accurately
- Prepare financial statements as requested
- Support Director of Finance in preparing budget to actual forecast files
- Oversee tax reporting (990, 1099s, etc.)
- Ensure City on a Hill is up to date on compliance and best practices with DESE and other state and federal regulations, tax, and accounting issues
- Develop and maintain a documented system of financial policies and procedures and communicate and manage organization on fiscal policies and procedures
- Prepare the DESE End of Year Financial report and other required financial reports
The City on a Hill Instructional Philosophy and Background:
City on a Hill is a Network of teacher-centered charter public high schools in Boston and New Bedford dedicated to improving urban education and getting all of its graduates into and through college. As one of the original fourteen charter public schools in the Commonwealth, City on a Hill schools have college-prep standards within a rigorous curriculum.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools are high schools determined to teach each and every one of its students the academic skills he or she will need to succeed in college and beyond. Our school leaders, faculty, and students are committed and ready to dedicate the time, energy, and hard work to achieve the school’s mission. The school’s mission is predicated on the belief that not only can all students learn, but all students must learn in order to embrace their rights and responsibilities as American citizens and acquire the academic and cultural capital to improve their community.
It is the policy of City on a Hill Charter Public Schools to obtain all available Federal and State background information through both SAFIS (Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services) and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), as allowed by law, of all employees and prospective employees of the school.
City on a Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Qualified candidates have the following:
- Belief that every student, regardless of background, can and must achieve academically at high levels
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in accounting and overseeing financial and operational systems
- Prior experience in non-profit, charter school, or public education, preferably in a high-performing and growing, multi-site education or school organization
- Experience with Quickbooks and bill.com a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly flexible with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service; goal-driven, accountable, and reliable; strong attention to detail and follow-through
apply directly on COAH website: