Background on Brooke
Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,730 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2022.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
The Role & Responsibilities
The role of Office Manager is a crucial operations position within the Brooke model. The Office Manager reports directly to the Director of Operations and takes ownership of all front office operations.
- Reception, including answering phones and greeting parents and visitors (from 7:00am to 5:00pm)
- Collecting and entering daily attendance, making calls to families of absent students
- Overseeing purchase order system
- Coordinating billing for the after school program
- Overseeing ordering and stocking of supplies for teachers and the front office
- Coordinating incoming mail and outgoing mailings
- Tracking, organizing and maintaining student records
- Managing service calls for printers and copiers
- Assisting with enrollment and student information as needed
- Participating in operations team professional development sessions
- Bilingual Spanish speaking and written ability required
- French (Haitian Creole) speaking ability a plus
- Bachelor's Degree preferred but not required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel)
- Familiarity with Google Drive (Documents, Sheets and Calendar)
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a customer service or relations type role
- A shared dedication to the Brooke philosophy and mission
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.