Community Charter School of Cambridge (CCSC) is a public charter school that serves students in grades 6-12. Focusing on post-secondary success for all students, CCSC combines high academic and behavioral standards with an environment of unconditional affection, acceptance, and belonging in which all students can thrive.
CCSC seeks an experienced, dedicated, outstanding, and innovative principal who is interested in:
- joining our exceptionally diverse and talented team (49% faculty of color, 57% administrators of color for the 2018-2019 school year).
- contributing to our rigorous academic program and strong school culture.
- supporting the school’s commitment to diversity and social justice, which is reflected in our daily practices, policies, and systems.
- learning through professional development that is team-based and includes an extensive focus on race and equity.
In its first fourteen years, CCSC has established itself as one of the highest ranking middle/high schools in the greater Boston area. The school has received an official state commendation and was runner-up for the prestigious Pozen Prize for Charter Schools. Please visit www.ccscambridge.org to learn more about our work.
The middle school principal role includes oversight of the middle school (grades 6-8, ~150 students), including the monitoring of academic progress and discipline. The principal sits on the school’s leadership team. This is a 12-month position, with three weeks off during the summer and normal school vacations during the academic year.
The responsibilities of the middle school principal include:
Student Support and Achievement
- Lead initiatives to support the academic success of all middle school students
- Collaborate with other members of the leadership team, counseling department, faculty, and non-instructional staff to create individualized plans for struggling students within CCSC’s tiered intervention system
- Set and maintain school culture in the middle school, ensuring that the Code of Conduct is enforced; coordinate and manage policies and systems related to middle school culture
- Participate in applicable components of middle school disciplinary processes, including presiding over hearings and rendering discipline decisions
- Oversee Middle School advisory programming, including regular observation, curriculum, check-ins and evaluation
- Cultivate and support a culture of extracurricular involvement
Teacher Support and Evaluation
- Evaluate faculty
- Participate in the work of supervision and evaluation committee, which is made up of the administrators and department chairs who evaluate faculty
- Conduct informal observations of all middle school classes and advisories on a frequent and consistent basis
- Participate in the hiring of faculty and staff positions
Family and Community Engagement
- Communicate regularly with middle school parents/guardians and work to enhance and increase involvement and engagement
- Meet with individual families regularly and as needed
- Work with the Director of Student and Family Engagement to recruit and retain students and families
Professional Learning Culture
- Lead professional development sessions—during faculty/staff inservice and throughout the school year
- Supervise the work of various groups-- grade level teams, advisory teams and others – including goal setting, agenda creation, progress monitoring
- Several years of teaching experience at the middle school level
- Leadership experience and expertise, with knowledge of charter sector strongly preferred
- Experience supervising teachers in a formal setting
- Excellent writing and personal organizational skills
- Master’s Degree required; graduate-level coursework in education preferred
Send a cover letter and resume to Caleb Hurst-Hiller, Head of School, at [email protected] ccscambridge.org with the subject line “Middle School Principal.”