Academy of the Pacific Rim Charter Public School (APR) is a free, public school offering a rigorous college preparatory program to 525 students in 5th through 12th grade. For 22 years, APR has been committed to serving students of Boston such that they achieve their full intellectual and social potential, and we now have more than 500 alumni. Our work is grounded in the vision that graduates of APR have a focused mind and a big heart. They are ready for post-secondary education because they have mastered college and career ready academic and social skills including the knowledge and dispositions to joyfully pursue future opportunities based on their passions and participate in and transform civic life.
- 90% are students of color
- 11% are English Learners
- 25% are supported by an IEP
- To date, 99% of our high school students have passed MCAS
- To date, our alumni six-year college graduation rate is 73%, which is almost double the rate of their demographic peers
We believe that exceptional student outcomes are the result of excellent teaching and teamwork. Teachers who thrive at APR are driven, passionate educators who love kids and their content. They are dedicated to their craft, embrace feedback, and constantly push themselves and their peers to continually learn and grow. This position will perform a variety of responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
Essential Functions and Responsibilities*
Curriculum, Instruction, and Student Assessment
- Designing and implementing CCSS aligned courses and curricular units
- Creating a classroom with a strong culture of achievement that promotes student engagement and investment
- Continually gathering and using data to inform instruction
- Collaborating with co-teachers and other specialists to deliver instruction to meet the individual needs of students
- Teaching 5 classes per day
- Providing regular tutoring and office hour supports for students
Partnering with Students and Families
- Mentoring 8-15 students, through regular advisory meetings
- Communicating weekly with students, families, and leadership around academic and behavioral issues
- Attending occasional after-school events
Living our Values
- Embodying our belief that all students can achieve
- Acting as a team to advance APR’s mission
- Committing to continual personal and organizational growth
- Tenaciously fostering the learning of every student
- Embracing diversity and the goals of equity and inclusion
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred;
- A minimum of two years teaching experience in a charter or district school setting serving a similar demographic preferred, but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in APR’s mission, including our values and educational model;
- A commitment to working with underserved youth in Boston;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
APR provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
APR is committed to a diverse workplace.
For more information, please visit our website at www.pacrim.org
APR is committed to ensuring that all of its programs and facilities are accessible to all members of
the public. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law (“protected class status”).
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
To apply for this position, please go to: https://pacrim.hiringplatform.com/26458-middle-school-physical-education-teacher/69931-application-form/en