Community Charter School of Cambridge (CCSC) is a public charter school that serves students in grades 6-12. Focusing on post-secondary success for all students, CCSC combines high academic and behavioral standards with an environment of unconditional affection, acceptance, and belonging in which all students can thrive. CCSC seeks dedicated, outstanding, and innovative faculty who are interested in
- joining our exceptionally diverse and talented team (49% faculty of color, 57% administrators of color for the 2018-2019 school year).
- contributing to our rigorous academic program and strong school culture.
- supporting the school’s commitment to diversity and social justice, which is reflected in our daily practices, policies, and systems.
- learning through professional development that is team-based and includes an extensive focus on race and equity.
CCSC remains one of the highest ranking middle/high schools in the greater Boston area. The school has received an official state commendation and was runner-up for the prestigious Pozen Prize for Charter Schools. Please visit www.ccscambridge.org to learn more about our work.
This specific position entails the teaching of middle school mathematics in preparation for success in college and the requisite standardized exams – Next Generation MCAS. The precise assignment for this position has yet to be determined and will depend on the qualifications and background of the person to be hired as well as the staffing needs of the school. In addition, the faculty member will serve as an advisor and fulfill all regular duties and commitments required of CCSC staff.
A CCSC mathematics teacher can expect to:
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students
- Work collaboratively to create and implement a program of study that is intellectually challenging
- Work with a diverse student body from Cambridge, Boston, and surrounding cities
- Sustain a school-wide culture of respect and actively use the school’s Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) system
- Align curriculum with the MA Curriculum Frameworks for Mathematics and implement the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematical Practice to aid students in developing deep understanding of content
- Design and implement lessons that balance procedural fluency with conceptual understanding and application, and that develop reasoning and critical thinking skills in mathematics
- Serve as an Advisor to a small group of students
- Communicate with students’ families on a regular basis
- Participate in myriad forms of professional development as scheduled for all faculty
- BA or BS required; appropriate graduate coursework preferred
- Teaching experience in a similar setting preferred
- Ability to teach more than one subject preferred (Integrated Math - 6th, 7th, and 8th grade math; Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus)
- If not certified in MA, charter school teachers must pass the relevant MA teacher tests (MTEL) by the end of their first year at CCSC
- If not Sheltered English Immersion endorsed, charter school teachers must earn the endorsement by the end of their first year at CCSC with English Language Learners in any of their courses
Send a cover letter and resume to Tabitha Schober, Mathematics Department Chair, at [email protected] ccscambridge.org with the subject line “CCSC Middle School Mathematics Teacher”.