City on a Hill Charter Public Schools welcomes applicants for the 2019-2020 Academic School Year.
About City on a Hill Charter Public Schools (CoaH):
City on a Hill graduates college-ready students that are responsible, resourceful and respectful democratic citizens, who are prepared to compete in 21st century community, culture and commerce. We do so by emphasizing academic achievement, citizenship, teacher leadership, and public accountability.
City on a Hill began with a single high school in Boston, opening its doors in 1995. Currently we have three locations: Circuit Street (Roxbury, MA) Dudley Square (Roxbury, MA) and New Bedford. We invite you to join our nationally recognized team of innovative and collegial educators who are fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Please note that this position is based out of one of our Boston locations in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
A LPN at a City on a Hill School has the following responsibilities:
- Ordering, administering, and managing medications and controlled substances
- Monitoring student medication changes and side effects
- Providing training to staff in regards to specific protocols and policies for student illnesses
- Providing health education and acting as a liaison with community physicians and health care providers
- Monitoring and preparing medications needed for off grounds trips
- Communicating with RN supervisor, clinicians, and other support staff about health concerns and medical incidents
- Providing support for students’ needs during shift
- Complies with the policies of the school, district, and state laws relative to the administration of medicine to students.
- Functions as a key member of the team involved in educational referrals.
- Audits health records for immunization status of all students, and notifies parents of deficiencies and recommends immunizations.
- Other duties as assigned by the School Nurse, Principal or Vice Principal.
The City on a Hill Instructional Philosophy and Background:
City on a Hill is a Network of teacher-centered charter public high schools in Boston and New Bedford dedicated to improving urban education and getting all of its graduates into and through college. As one of the original fourteen charter public schools in the Commonwealth, City on a Hill schools have college-prep standards within a rigorous curriculum.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools are high schools determined to teach each and every one of its students the academic skills he or she will need to succeed in college and beyond. Our school leaders, faculty, and students are committed and ready to dedicate the time, energy, and hard work to achieve the school’s mission. The school’s mission is predicated on the belief that not only can all students learn, but all students must learn in order to embrace their rights and responsibilities as American citizens and acquire the academic and cultural capital to improve their community.
It is the policy of City on a Hill Charter Public Schools to obtain all available Federal and State background information through both SAFIS (Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services) and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), as allowed by law, of all employees and prospective employees of the school.
City on a Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Licensed Practical Nurse Degree
- Demonstrate skills in flexibility, confidentiality and sound decision making.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in public health nursing, community health nursing, school health nursing, or pediatric nursing;
- Current CPR/ AED certification
- Must be able to travel to both Boston schools, which are 5 minutes apart.
- Belief that every student, regardless of background, can and must achieve academically at high levels
- Training including screenings, medication and diabetes management
Apply directly on COAH webiste;