Background on Brooke
Brooke Charter Schools opened Brooke High in August of 2016, and we are looking for exceptional educators to add to our founding team who can help build a strong school culture focused on rigorous academics and developing strength of character.
Brooke Charter Schools, founded in 2002, are a network of five high-performing public charter schools in Boston. Our three K-7 schools in Roslindale, Mattapan, and East Boston enroll a total of 1,600 students; Brooke's 8th Grade Academy currently serves about 170 students and Brooke High School serves about 140 9th, 10th, and 11th graders. In August of 2018, BHS moved into a new state-of-the-art facility in Mattapan, where enrollment will eventually grow to about 600 students in grades 9-12.
Our mission is to provide an academically rigorous public education to students from the cities of Boston and Chelsea that will ensure that they are prepared to attend and succeed in college. Named after Senator Edward W. Brooke III, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latinx, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently producing results among the highest in the state.
The Role & Responsibilities
The Brooke High School Assistant Principal Fellow will work closely alongside the Principal of Brooke High School. We seek a passionate and insightful leader who is interested in building and then sustaining an exceptional high school that provides all students with a rigorous education that can prepare them to succeed in any college. The Principal Fellow will receive any needed training in the 2019-2020 school year that is required for that fellow to serve as full Assistant Principal in the 2020-2021 school year. The Fellow’s responsibilities and development will be aligned to the Fellow’s experiences and skills, but a possible two-year role progression is outlined below:
- Work in tandem with Principal to manage instructional and non-instructional staff
- Observe instructional staff weekly alongside Co-Director and provide feedback in debrief meetings
- Analyze assessment data and coordinate data meetings with instructional staff
- Co-plan and lead weekly professional development sessions
- Coordinate directly with all operations and network leaders to ensure Brooke High runs efficiently
- Participate in weekly instructional rounds and monthly high school visits
- Any and all other school leadership responsibilities
YEAR 2 and beyond:
- Lead one or two grade level teams and/or take on significant programmatic features, such as course scheduling or Summer School Academy, and hold complete accountability for the success of Brooke High students within those programs
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Minimum of 4-5 years high school teaching experience
- Previous experience as a department chair or Assistant Principal strongly preferred
- Strong leadership skills and a record of showing leadership in a variety of situations
- Self-motivation, high energy, and relentlessness in meeting challenges
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students
- Belief in the necessity of high behavior expectations and consistency in upholding those expectations
- Vision for instructional excellence that requires deep thinking and engagement from all students
- Shared dedication to Brooke’s mission and organizational values
- Excellent teamwork, communication, initiative, urgency, and positivity
- Bachelor’s degree
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.