City on a Hill Charter Public Schools welcomes applicants for the 2019-2020 Academic School Year.
About City on a Hill Charter Public Schools (CoaH):
City on a Hill began with a single high school in Boston, opening its doors in 1995. Currently we have three locations: Circuit Street (Roxbury, MA) Dudley Square (Roxbury, MA) and New Bedford. We invite you to join our nationally recognized team of innovative and collegial educators who are fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Please note that this position is based out of our Dudley Square location in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
An ESL Teacher at a City on a Hill School has the following responsibilities:
- Provide English language education through writing classes, small group tutoring, and push-in support.
- Collaborate with the ESL department to plan lessons, create/update lesson plans, save all updates and creations to the City on a Hill server.
- Implement school wide systems, such as beginning of class routines, merits/demerits, writing across curriculum, as well as any additional academic initiatives implemented at the school or network level.
- Maintain accurate and transparent records of student work in the school’s Student Information System
- Design and implement high quality assessment of student learning.
- Attend all Town Meetings, department day meetings, and weekly faculty meetings.
- Attend all grade level and IEP meetings of the students in all sections.
- Attend subject and/or grade level field trips as appropriate.
- Attend quarterly parent/advisor nights, graduation, and other required school events
- Member of an assigned Professional Development Group and participant in City on a Hill’s Peer Observation Program.
- Collaborate with SpEd teachers and ESL teachers to ensure appropriate adjustments to curriculum, instruction, and assessment are implemented and attend LN team meetings for all students in sections.
- Additional duties, as assigned by the Lead Teacher, Vice Principal, or Principal
The City on a Hill Instructional Philosophy and Background:
City on a Hill is a Network of teacher-centered charter public high schools in Boston and New Bedford dedicated to improving urban education and getting all of its graduates into and through college. As one of the original fourteen charter public schools in the Commonwealth, City on a Hill schools have college-prep standards within a rigorous curriculum.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools are high schools determined to teach each and every one of its students the academic skills he or she will need to succeed in college and beyond. Our school leaders, faculty, and students are committed and ready to dedicate the time, energy, and hard work to achieve the school’s mission. The school’s mission is predicated on the belief that not only can all students learn, but all students must learn in order to embrace their rights and responsibilities as American citizens and acquire the academic and cultural capital to improve their community.
It is the policy of City on a Hill Charter Public Schools to obtain all available Federal and State background information through both SAFIS (Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services) and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), as allowed by law, of all employees and prospective employees of the school.
City on a Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Belief that every student, regardless of background, can and must achieve academically at high levels
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum 1 year of related experience
- Holds a Massachusetts Teaching license
- Preliminary MA teaching certification or working toward earning MA certification
- Experience preferred, particularly in an urban setting
- SEI or RETELL endorsemen
Apply directly on COAH website: