Founded in 2001, the Massachusetts Charter Public School Association (MCPSA) serves more than 70 schools and 42,000 students. It has an extensive history of supporting and advocating for charter schools across the state and is currently in a period of exciting organizational growth. Massachusetts charter public schools are widely recognized as one of the highest performing charter sectors in the country. The mission of MCPSA is to create and protect the conditions that will enable the charter sector to thrive, contributing toward the common goal of all Massachusetts’ children having equitable access to high-quality schools.
The Director of Family Engagement and Organizing leads efforts to authentically build and strengthen charter public schools’ relationships with families and the community, increasing parent voice and power. This individual will develop and provide a set of trainings to build schools’ capacity in four areas: strong family and student engagement, community engagement, organizing, and advocacy. In addition, the Director will lead a direct organizing pilot to empower families at 2-3 schools to advocate for their children. Ultimately, this work will build relationships between schools, families, and the community, empower families, and amplify the voices of those who benefit from charter public schools. This role reports to the Chief of Government Affairs.
- Develop and lead school-facing professional development trainings/communities of practice to build school capacity in family and student engagement, community engagement, organizing, and advocacy
- Create and adapt materials, trainings, and tools enabling schools to build engagement strategies and elevate the voices of parents and students
- Build relationships with and provide coaching to school staff focused on family and student engagement
- Develop and lead organizing pilot at 2-3 schools, building relationships, identifying and training parent leaders, and empowering families to advocate for their children
- Hire, manage, and coach additional staff as needed
- Oversee the day-to-day development and implementation of our organizing program, including communication with stakeholders, events, and implementation of peer-to-peer and political outreach
- Work with the Communications and Policy teams to identify opportunities for online to offline organizing
- Develop and lead trainings for staff, volunteers, as well as external trainings for local partners
Location and Timing:
This full time position is available immediately and is based in Massachusetts, with some travel throughout the state required.
MCPSA offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including base salary, bonus, health, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement contributions, and paid time off.
The Massachusetts Charter Public School Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. MCPSA does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
- 3+ years experience in community organizing and stakeholder engagement
- Passion for engaging parents, families, and school leaders, and increasing access to high-quality charter schools
- Strong understanding of how to meet a diverse range of constituents where they are in their communities and deeply value diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Commitment to breaking down barriers and creating a more equitable education system
- Demonstrated skills in planning and executing issue-based advocacy campaigns
- Experience engaging volunteers
- Multilingual capabilities strongly preferred
- Ability to work well with staff across departments and at all levels
- Exceptional relationship building and communication skills
- Excellent management, strategic thinking, and planning
- A self starter, with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Existing relationships among charter schools, education reform organizations, and political organizations a plus
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and continue until the position is filled.