About the Organization:
Boston Preparatory Charter Public School (Boston Prep) is a free, public school, offering a rigorous curriculum to 530 students and 278 alumni, the majority coming from Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, and Hyde Park. We operate as an integrated middle school, high school, and alumni support model. At the root of our programming is a belief that all students can succeed in a four-year college.
Boston Prep has recently moved into a brand new state of the art facility that will support our future expansion from 530 to 700 students over the next four years. During the 2019-2020 school year, our 8th grade will be growing from three sections to four sections, and to support this growth we are adding an 8th grade math and 8th grade ELA teacher to the team.
Mission: Boston Prep prepares students to succeed in a four-year college and embody, in thought and action, lifelong ethical growth. We foster an environment structured around scholarship and personal growth that cultivates students' virtues of courage, compassion, integrity, perseverance, and respect.
To achieve our ambitious goals, our approach includes six essentials that we believe leads to our success:
- We have an exceptional adult team; our team is everything
- We hold high expectation for all students
- We foster ethical growth, inside and outside of the classroom
- We have an invested, passionate student culture
- We offer a range of supports, academic, social, and emotional, to all students
- We ensure college persistence through a number of alumni supports
Currently, 76% of our graduates are persisting in college, 100% of our students have been accepted to four-year colleges, and 98% of our alumni have matriculated to college the semester after graduating from Boston Prep.
We believe that exceptional student gains are the direct result of excellent teaching and programming and acknowledge the importance of students’ college readiness skills in achieving our mission. We are a mission-driven adult team committed to refining and improving our practice such that our students can chart the life course they aspire to. We hope you will consider applying.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
Curriculum Design, Instruction, and Student Assessment
- Creating a classroom environment structured around scholarship where students are authentically engaged and curious
- Continually gathering and using data to inform instruction
- Designing and implementing differentiated curriculum aligned with school standards
- Teaching 3-5 classes per day
- Collaborating with co-teachers and other specialists to deliver instruction to meet the individual needs of students
- Assuming daily tutoring responsibilities
Partnering with Students and Families
- Mentoring 8-15 students, through bi-weekly or daily advisory meetings
- Communicating weekly with students, families, and school administrators around academic and behavioral concerns
- Attending occasional after-school events
Building of School Culture
- Embodying our belief that “effort determines success” at all times
- Frequently communicating the school’s mission to children and families
- Adhering to school academic and disciplinary protocols
- Assuming extracurricular responsibilities, if desired
Maintenance of Organizational Culture
- Actively engaging in one’s learning; seeking and acting on feedback regularly
- Actively pursuing professional development, inside and outside of the school
- Collaborating with other teachers and administrators to advance the school’s mission
Applicants must possess the drive, experience, and entrepreneurial spirit to contribute to an outstanding urban public school and community. Boston Prep is committed to a diverse workplace.
For more information, please visit our website at www.bostonprep.org.
One Mission. One Team. One School. We are Boston Prep.
Boston Prep is committed to ensuring that all of its programs and facilities are accessible to all members of the public. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.