Codman Academy Charter Public School (K1-12, 350 students) is a nationally recognized leader in innovative urban education, including our unique partnership and shared facility with Codman Square Community Health Center in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood.
As an EL Education school, our mission is to provide an outstanding, transformative education to prepare students for success in college, further education and beyond. We educate the whole student: mind, body, and character. With the city and world as our classroom, we build a school community rich in rigorous academics and daily experiences of discovery. We continue to support our alumni in realizing their potential after graduation.
Codman Academy seeks a Mathematics teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. Mathematics teachers are responsible for preparing students to successfully demonstrate math knowledge and skills in the classroom, in post-secondary educational experiences and in life. Mathematics courses include General Math, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus and Calculus. Mathematics teachers fulfill duties and responsibilities required of all Codman team members.
ALL CODMAN ACADEMY TEAM MEMBERS BELIVE IN:
- Rigor and High Quality: As a small, college preparatory school, we have high intellectual and character expectations for our students and our staff. We believe in the American Youth Foundation’s motto, “My own self, at my very best, all the time.” As an EL Education Credentialed School our demanding academic curriculum is based on EL’s design principles; students engage in experiential learning across disciplines. Exemplifying this approach, Humanities Department Chair Sydney Chaffee was named 2017 Massachusetts Teacher of the Year.
- Social Justice and Serving our Community: We value learning through meaningful experiences that affect our daily lives. We look to be active members in our community and expect the same from our students. Walk Boston awarded former Science Teacher Maggie Sachs Mahmood the Golden Shoe Award for using the study of velocity and physics to improve pedestrian safety in Codman Square. The Community Service-Learning Advisory Council awarded the Service Learning Teacher Award to Equity Coordinator Lisa Graustein.
- Integrated Health and Education: CACPS is co-located with our founding partner, the Codman Square Health Center. Together we’ve formed Codman2, an innovative partnership that aims at improving the physical, mental, and socio-emotional health of our community. Our partnership earned the first Mayoral Prize in Innovation in Health Care. CACPS also earned the Gold-Level Massachusetts School Wellness Award, which noted a high level of student involvement in the wellness program, coordination with the Codman Square Health Center, and exemplary whole school approach to fostering wellness.
See www.codmanacademy.org - Apply/Positions Available for Full Job Description.
Codman Academy does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, disability, sex/gender, gender identity, religious beliefs, national origin, ancestry, retaliation, sexual orientation, genetics or military status and does not tolerate any form of discrimination, intimidation, threat, coercion, and/or harassment that insults the dignity of others by interfering with their freedom to learn and work.
We are looking for educators who have...
- a passion for Codman’s mission and EL Education philosophy, which focuses on experiential learning and social justice
- successful teaching experience in an urban public school
- experience leading students to significant academic gains
- an abiding sense of urgency
- extensive content knowledge
- experience working with special needs students
- classroom management expertise
- a love for collaborative curriculum development
- the desire to grow as an educator and the willingness to participate in meaningful and challenging professional development
- a minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- a Bachelor’s degree
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your resume and cover letter to . Please include in your cover letter a response to the following questions:
- What excites you about teaching at Codman Academy?
- How do you intend to use EL Education practices in your work?